Wednesday 20 June 2012

Breakfast @ Bea's Diner


I've been busy lately, so I haven't quite got round to finishing the rest of my posts on Beijing. The thing is I have too many photos, too much to write to about, and not enough time. But they will see the light of day! In the meantime, here's a quick post on Bea's Diner (an offshoot of Bea's of Bloomsbury) at Maltby St Market.


There's quite a bit of choice at Bea's, and I was torn between the buttermilk pancakes and the brioche French toast. In the end I decided to go with the latter, which came with caramel bananas and walnuts. Oh, and I decided to order a side of streaky bacon (it didn't seem right to have breakfast without bacon).


While I wouldn't describe what arrived as being the most aesthetically pleasing plate of food I've ever eaten, I wasn't that bothered as long as it tasted good. It did. In particular, I loved the caramel bananas, which went really well with the French toast. The walnuts gave the dish crunch, and I was also surprised how well the salty bacon went with what was essentially a largely sweet concoction.

The breakfast was also bloody good value, and I was proper stuffed. So much so, plans to eat my way round the market were shelved (perhaps this is part of an evil masterplan by Bea to take over Maltby St through the medium of breakfast). Anyway, it goes without saying that I'll be back. Next time, I think I might try the pancakes, or maybe the poached eggs and muffins.

Bea's of Bloomsbury at Maltby Street Market on Urbanspoon

Bea's Diner at Maltby Street Market Arch 76, Druid St, London SE1 2HQ
Nearest station: London Bridge
Open Saturdays 9am (until they run out)

6 comments:

  1. We love in Kent so come in to London on the LB, WE and CC line - so any tips for places to eat round there are always gratefully received - I'm always happy to travel for food but sometimes it can be tough to find little nooks in the deepest, darkest ?, somewhere at the end of a tube line!

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicky - this is very handy for you , as Maltby St is about 10 mins walk from London Bridge.

      Delete
  2. The pancakes can be on the soggy underdone side, so proceed with caution. But I did quite enjoy the poached eggs with crispy muffins.

    Go to the other side of the lane and try her husband Franz's grilled cheese dumplings. At Speckmobile. WIN.

    Wen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wen - thanks for the tip! May go for the 'Half N Half' next time to check out both options. Not so sure about the cheese dumplings though. I'm one of those Chinese-ers that don't reall do cheese.

      Delete
  3. Hello,

    Just randomly found your food blog and I love it. Just letting you know that you might have a stalker soon. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. poorna - thanks. I think I can finally say I've made it as a blogger, now that I have a stalker.

      Delete