Wednesday 4 April 2012

Seventeen's New Noodle Lunch Menu

What's your dream job? Mine would probably be noodle development officer. I'm not sure if such a job exists, but I had a tantalising glimpse into what it might entail at Seventeen when I was invited to offer feedback on their new set lunch menu. A tough job, I know, but someone has to do it!

Hot & sour chicken soup noodles (test version)
Of the four varieties of soup noodles that I sampled, my favourite was the hot & sour chicken soup noodles. This Sichuan bruiser packed a punch not only with its spicy and sour flavours but also with its smoky tones and numbing ma-la heat. The medium gauge glass noodles (made from potato starch) had QQ bite and were eminently slurpable. I wasn't really that bothered about the shredded chicken, but to be honest, the protein is very much the supporting act in this dish.

Hot & sour chicken soup noodles (on-sale version)
The new lunch menu has since been launched, and I returned incognito as a paying customer to try the hot & sour chicken soup noodles. It was pretty much like the test version except it came with spring onion rather than coriander. I would have preferred the latter as a garnish, but that's a minor quibble, as this bowl of noodles is one that I would regularly eat if I worked in the vicinity of Notting Hill Gate.

Beef noodle soup
Dan dan noodles
Of the other dishes I tried during the initial tasting, I liked the beef noodle soup. It's not quite as good as the version at Mama Lan, but it was comforting and the hint of garlic was a nice touch. The dan dan noodles were technically OK, but I prefer the saucier spicier version of this dish as opposed to the soupy one liberally laced with peanuts and sesame paste that was on offer at Seventeen. The one disappointment was the wonton noodles, and management promised to go back to the drawing board to improve this dish. All of these dishes are on the new set lunch menu, but I'm not sure what, if any, changes have been made since I sampled them.

Seventeen's new set lunch menu is available Mon-Fri (12pm - 4pm) at £6.50 for a main and a side. At that kind of price, it's well worth ditching Notting Hill Gate's unholy trinity of Pret, Subway and EAT for a decent bowl of noodles at lunchtime.

Seventeen on Urbanspoon

Seventeen, 17 Notting Hill Gate, London, W11 3JQ (Tel: 020-7985-0006)
Nearest tube: Notting Hill Gate


This review is based on two separate visits, one complimentary, the other paid.

4 comments:

  1. I must say the hot and sour sounds very tempting. I have to agree with you on the avoidance of the unholy trinity. Why waste your money and calories on bland, generic food when you can venture out and try something slightly different and possibly delicious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a bargain really for lunch. I'm going to have to try this place out, although I'm unlikely to be able to sample the lunchtime menu.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh that is freaking cheap! Definitely a worthy bargain.

    About being a noodle developer, I must say that's the most interesting career aspiration I've heard lately. Gives me a little something to think about (I'm at that stage when I'm moaning and worryign about my future).

    ReplyDelete
  4. J - sandwich shops are SO boring.

    Mzungu - the lunch menu is a bargain, but Seventeen is quite a smart restaurant and the a la carte is a bit pricier.

    Shu Han - being an old man, my advice to you is to do something you enjoy.

    ReplyDelete